Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Semi Pro Volleyball, PDX Style

I play volleyball. Rather, since moving to Portland I play volleyball. A lot. In as, five times last week I played the game.

How did this happen? Sunday night, Underdog Sports at Hillside Community Center. Monday night, at Fulton. Tuesday AND Thursday at Southwest Community Center. Friday at 24 Hour Fitness in Vancouver, WA. Yes, I have been to Washington now.

How the hell did I wind up here again (in the Pacific NW that is)?

Volleyball is a funny game. You mostly play it in Junior High and then never play it again. Out here it is big. Maybe because of the rain or maybe because people aren't very competitive out here and volleyball is an interesting sport.

It's not like basketball where one person can dominate. It has little to do with hockey or football where you hit people. I enjoyed that.

It's bump, set, spike. To me, there is very little athleticism in the sport. In the sense that it is a true team game, and people that know me well, no I despise these sorts of things. I prefer to go off and do my thing, or play an unorthodox style, or get into it with people.

Volleyball isn't really like that. Why do I play so much? I couldn't tell you. My father would probably say it has something to do with that I am all or nothing. There is truth in that. Besides, sprained ankles and broken noses are a bitch when you get older.

No mas.

No comments: